Friday, August 27, 2010

ribbon wedding cake


I have been hoping to enter this week's challenge at Wee Memories- how can I resist- sweets & ribbon!! :)
I've got lots of weddings coming up, so I thought this would be a good time to start on those cards.... My friend, Charlene, inspired me with her doily card, so I put my own spin on that.
I used May Arts crocheted ribbon, cut in 3 lengths & layered over vellum. Then I strung pearls (from Joanns) onto May Arts silk ribbon & added those to the top of each layer.

I attached the cake to some basic gray paper (capella 'mezzo')- it has a pretty wedding-y feel to it on it's own! I distressed with PTI tea dye inks & SU! close to cocoa to try to match the uncut side.

May Arts is sponsoring this challenge- and I want to encourage you to head over to their blog- they are having a comment-to-win-a-spool-of-ribbon (your choice!)!! That contest is open until Sept. 5th- AND open to international entries (hint, hint) so go get your comment in!
The Wee Memories challenge is only open for a few more hours- but you can head over there to see all the sweets with ribbon!!!
Thanks for stopping by- I'd love to hear what you think!

12 comments:

  1. Wow, look at that fabulous cake... is that hint suppose to be for me? Or am I reading into things too much?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely beautiful and elegant. Love that tone on tone colors and the texture that the lace adds. Just so classy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Very creative and oh so pretty. Glad you joined us at Wee Memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the perfect wedding cake: Beautiful, no calories and it will last forever! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful as always, Jen! Love your designs. Thanks for playing at Wee Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen - this is gorgeous! The crocheted ribbon looks like the details that you would find on a real wedding cake. And the pearls are the perfect touch!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous! I love how the ribbon looks like embossed paper - only richer and lovlier! I just want to reach out and stroke this card!! This would make a perfect wedding card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you kidding me?!! Girl Friend....I LOVE it. YOU are awesome possum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving the ribbon on this--of course ;) SO beautiful! What a great idea to make it into a cake shape!
    And did I see that you were a dental hygienist? ME TOO before becoming a SAHM :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jen, I had to tell you, Dylan especially liked this one! Funny huh?
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this card. What a creative way to use ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just gorgeous...great use of the crocheted ribbon...love how you added the topping with ribbon and pearls!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to come by- and your comments make my day! Thank you!!